Thursday, October 19, 2006

Some Music Videos

I absolutely love music videos. I'm not talking about music videos from North America...I'm talking about Chinese music videos. Why? Because most Chinese music videos actually tell a story and even if you don't understand the lyrics, you can sort of feel what the song is about.

Below I have posted 4 music videos (two by S.H.E. and two by Jay Chou). All four music videos are off of new albums by Jay Chou and S.H.E. The next time I go buy some CDs, these two albums are definitely on the wish list.

So how does this help in my learning Mandarin?

Well there are great sources out on the Internet where you can get lyrics and their English meanings. For example, I get all my S.H.E. lyrics from the S.H.E. Angelic Fansite. Below is a sample of the lyrics they house there (this sample is from the song "Wisteria", which by the way, is a type of viney flower that can be found in Asia):

花纏繞的神情懸秘 你像蒸發的背影
hua chan rao de shen qing xuan mi, ni xiang zheng fa de bei jing
The flower emits a sense of secretiveness; You're like the shadow of the bloom

我垂墜的心情搖曳 不出聲音
wo zui chui zhui de xin qing yao ye, bu chu sheng yin
My crestfallen heart droops, not making any sound


Not only do I get the Chinese words and the English meaning, I also get the PinYin (romanization of how to say the Chinese word). I've actually picked up quite a lot just by learning lyrics of some of my favorite songs.

Anyways, I've neglected this site for too long. I'll start doing more regular posts and I'll have a feature starting this weekend that rounds up some of the top entertainment news from China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan.

In the meantime, enjoy the music videos - these are my favorites off their new albums (see album covers below).



No comments: