Sunday, June 18, 2006

Things I Bought Over The Weekend

Over the weekend I bought the following CDs:

  1. A-Mei Chang - I Want Happiness? (我要快樂?)
  2. Jay Chou - November's Chopin (十一月的蕭邦)
  3. Leehom Wang - Heros of Earth (蓋世英雄)
  4. Fish Leong - Silk Road of Love (丝路)
  5. Various Artists - Meteor Garden Soundtrack (流星花園)
I also got the DVD set of the highly recommended TV serial Meteor Garden (流星花園).

Last week, I finished watching S.H.E.'s "Reaching for the Stars" (真命天女) and I thought it was pretty good. Though it would appear as though "Reaching for the Stars" was not nearly as popular as they had hoped. Considering this is the first Mandarin serial I've watched, I have nothing to compare it to.

And I'm a little biased as well - S.H.E. music is the first Mandarin I've listened to and they are still my favorite to date.

Anyways, on the weekend, I watched the first 2 episodes of Meteor Garden. At first, I didn't think it was going to be as good as Reaching for the Stars, but after 2 episodes, it seems to be going somewhere and I can sort of see what all the hype is about.

I haven't had a chance to listen to all the CDs I got. But here are some of my thoughts about what I have heard so far...

  • Leehom Wang's CD is a total disappointment. I heard several of his songs on this CD through YouTube and the Mandarin Internet Radio and was expecting most of his stuff to be slower and more R&B. However, a lot of his tracks are like rap. I'll have to listen to it more to get a better feeling for it
  • I listened to A-Mei's CD and was quite surprised. I wasn't really a big fan of A-Mei (I heard some of hear songs, but didn't really feel much about them). But when I popped in this CD, a lot of her songs were quite catchy. Again, I'll have to listen to more
  • Finally, I quickly listened to Jay Chou's CD. I was also pleasantly surprised as well. For some reason, I had the impression that Jay was more of a rapper, but after listening to this CD, it was a breath of fresh air. Maybe it was because I had low expectations for this CD....
I also spent a lot of time looking for specific CDs in Chinatown, but had no luck. I'm still looking for the following CDs:
  1. Nicky Lee - Baby It's Me (Baby 是我)
  2. Vicki Zhao - Double (雙)
  3. Tank - Fighting
I have a feeling that these CDs are too new to be out there yet. I guess I'll have to wait.

I like Nicky Lee's style; catchy R&B tunes though I have a feeling he's not as popular as he should be.

Vicki Zhao has always been a favorite of mine and there are several tracks on her CD Double that I like. I've been looking for this CD for the longest time...I guess I'll have to wait a little longer.

Lastly, I've heard four of Tank's songs (I think he's only released the 4 songs) and I love all three! I especially like the song 獨唱情歌 (Solo Love Song) - a duet he did with Selina (from S.H.E.).

The search will continue for these CDs!

No comments: